Here’s the problem with speed freaks: they have an expensive taste in cars. It’s rare that you come across fast cars with affordable prices, but they do exist!
So, for our top ten focus today, we’re going to highlight some examples of this, helping you to find the car you want. We’ll also discuss the cars themselves, as well as dropping in a few tips at the end to help you get maximum power.
Before we begin, let us stress that you should always abide by the law when taking a car on public roads. The safety of yourself and others is of paramount importance, and we do not promote unsafe driving in any form.
Now that’s out of the way; it’s time to look at our top ten!
Ford Fiesta ST
We start with the Ford Fiesta ST — a recognizable model that has established itself as an outstanding drive. For the latest model, you’re looking at a price point of around $20,000, which is a steal considering its capabilities. The Ford Fiesta earns its place on this list due to its sports suspension and turbocharged 1.6-litre engine. While it’s definitely an economical drive for all who choose to purchase it, the Fiesta offers excellent performance. It’s a great car and an affordable pickup.
Porsche 944 Turbo
You’ll need to raid the used car markets if you want to get your hands on Porsche 944 Turbo. It’s not always easy to find one in good condition either, so using the internet wisely is key. By looking around at sites like eBay, you might just find the perfect deal on a 944 Turbo. If you do, you’ll benefit from a turbocharger and a fair amount of power under the hood. It can reach speeds of over 150mph, and you should be able to get one for less than $10,000. It might be a bit old at this point, but it has lost none of its charm.
Chevrolet Camaro SS
2017’s version of the Chevrolet Camaro SS should also be under consideration for any wanna-be racer. This incredibly stylish-looking ride comes with a gigantic 6.2-litre V-8 engine. Subsequently, it can hit 60mph in a very short amount of time, and it also comes with a variety of additional features. An elaborate infotainment system and unique rear stanchion spoiler are among just some of the benefits. The prices for Chevrolet Camaro SS models start at around $25,000 from new, and you’re getting a lot of car for your money.
The 2017 Ford Mustang offers all sorts of benefits for speed freaks. As stated on the company’s official website, “the 3.7L V6 offers up 300 hp and 280 lb.-ft. of torque, standard on V6 Fastback model. “ All engines are promised to deliver at least 300 horsepower, and with a variety of choices on offer, it’s up to you how powerful you get. The lowest models start around the $25,000 price range, so finances shouldn’t have to be a big worry!
Yet again, the 2017 Volkswagen GTI is a model that comes with sports suspension, helping to create a super-smooth ride. The turbocharged engine offers extreme performance. And, performance updates are available if you wish to enhance the vehicle further. Along with the ability to have a premium audio system, there are a bunch of great features to compliment your ride. With another starting point of around $25,000, you can spend as little or as much as you wish to improve the build.
The 2016 Audi S4 is a discrete vehicle with the need for speed. Its turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 engine is the catalyst for that statement. It’s a smooth ride that offers a premium look both outside and inside the car. It comes with a welcome smattering of features, and there’s a lot to enjoy about this offering from Audi. Or, if you’re feeling more willing to spend some extra cash, the Audi TT Roadster might be a better bet. It looks even better and has generally appeared to receive some outstanding reviews.
The tagline of the 2017 Subaru WRX is ‘drool sideways.’ While that might be nothing more than elaborate marketing tactics, we’ve probably all drooled over a Subaru once in our lifetimes. If the 2016 model is anything to go by, the new WRX should satisfy all our needs. It features a 268-horsepower direct injection turbocharged engine, for starters. High-performance brakes and advanced automatic transmission are among a host of welcome features. The price point starts at just over $26,000, but you’ll probably want to pay a little more for the best experience.
Honda Civic Si
The 2016 Honda Civic Si lives up to its reputation of being a favorite over the last few years. It boasts a VTEC inline-four cylinder engine, which manages 0-60 in around seven seconds. While this vehicle possesses plenty of potential under the hood, it isn’t all that expensive. The basic model will cost around $22,000, which is more than affordable for many of us. So, if you’re looking for speed, reliability, and a good daily drive, you could do much worse than going for the Civic Si.
Mini Cooper S
What…you didn’t expect us to pick the Mini Cooper S? If you’re a boy racer looking to uphold a reputation, maybe not. For everyone else, the Mini Cooper S is a fantastic choice. Not only does it look smart, but its compatibility makes it an easy drive for anyone who gets behind the wheel. Learner drivers…I’m looking at you! The Cooper S also has a twin-turbocharged engine with a top speed of just under 150mph. You can get one for under $25,000 from new, and the ease-of-use combined with great power makes this a fantastic buy.
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Finally, we conclude our list with an offering from Hyundai — the 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. This vehicle can do 0-60 in just over five seconds, which is an impressive statistic when combined with the car’s affordability. It also sports a 3.8-litre V6 engine, which is more than enough to provide the power most drivers need. Again, you’re looking at just over $25,000 to get one of these from new. Its stylish design is sure to impress anyone you speed past on the highway!
So, you’ve read the list, and you’ve got a good idea in your mind of what vehicle you might want to get. But, maybe you can’t quite afford to fork out the funds just yet. Maybe, you want to enhance these cars as quickly as you can after you buy them? Whatever situation you find yourself in, adding speed to your vehicle isn’t all that difficult. There are a few good ways to do it, so let’s take a brief look at them before we conclude this piece!
- You might want to look at getting an exhaust system for the vehicle in order to boost performance. Flowmaster prices can be found online, which is one of the top brands for exhaust systems. You can tailor your purchase based around your needs, so take your time to explore your options.
- Another thing you can do to boost the pace on offer is to strip out your vehicle. Anything from your spare tire to the air conditioning system has the ability to weigh down the car considerably. This prevents you from reaching top speeds and potentially ends up using more fuel. Stripping the car doesn’t cost you a thing, but just be careful with what you take out!
- You shouldn’t forget the importance of brake upgrades if necessary. Enhancing your car to go faster is all well and good, but you need to balance it out. If stopping distance is becoming a problem, fitting new brakes is necessary.
- Changing the tires is something that many speed freaks simply forget to do. Even when you buy a sports-type vehicle from new, there’s no guarantee it’ll be set up for the job. You can often tailor this yourself, but if you forget to do it, you’ll be missing out on performance. By getting the right tires for the task, you’ll benefit from faster acceleration and better cornering.
- Of course, those who take their speed extremely seriously often look into the benefits of nitrous. Here’s the bad part: it’s illegal to use it in the USA on a car intended for public roads. Amazingly, it’s actually legal in the UK, although insurance companies are very likely to frown upon it! Although this might seem like a good idea at the time, we highly recommend you DON’T use nitrous for a performance boost.
That’s it! We hope you’ve enjoyed today’s edition of the top ten. If you’ve come across a vehicle you’re interested in, be sure to let us know! There are plenty of great gems hiding in the wilderness when it comes to affordable speed. As mentioned earlier, stay safe on the roads and never put yourself or anyone else in danger.