Ford Motor informed workers that it is restricting all company travel to only important operations through March 27 as it takes steps in response to the spread of the coronavirus.
The second largest U.S. automaker revealed that two workers in China had been diagnosed with the coronavirus. They are getting better.
CEO Jim Hackett told workers the automaker was “restricting all business air travel, internationally and in-country. For now, this ban is in effect until March 27 and we will revisit the decision weekly”.
The company will allow essential travel on a case-by-case basis that “can only be completed by physically being present” and does not pose “an unacceptable health hazard”. Ford stated “examples of exceptions might include plant, provider and marketing readiness for product launches”.
Hackett said the automaker will place guidance from U.S. health officials at all facilities under the next 10 days.
“Remember to follow easy habits like washing your hands frequently, opting for hellos instead of handshakes, and using hand sanitizer when you are in a hurry,” the CEO wrote.
Hackett urged workers to “look out on your calendar at least 90 days and find creative ways to finish work without traveling or having people needlessly come to us”.